Friday, June 22, 2012

Euro 2012 - Greece vs. Germany today!

Who do you think I'm rooting for? :P

I'm actually not posting to talk about strategy, attempt-on-goal ratios, or anything like that for the game today. Not because I don't know anything about that stuff, but because I also am a New York Mets fan, and I know a thing or two about making predictions before a game starts and then jinxing my team! However, I am thoroughly psyched for the Deutsche Nationalmannschaft, and I always am in favor of the likes of Lukas Podolski and Mario Gomez getting some screen time ;)

Here is a rather light-hearted article from Der Spiegel's online English edition about the various "animal oracles" that have been used--mostly for entertainment purposes--to predict the victors of various matches. Anyone remember the 2010 World Cup, when Paul the Octopus predicted that Germany would lose to Spain (and he was right?!) ? Well, according to Der Spiegel, there have been many attempts to replace him after he passed away.

If nothing else, click through the slideshow to see adorable animals next to a German flag.

Heads up: Yvonne the cow and the turtles thought Germany would lose to Denmark during the last match!

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/euro-2012-animal-oracles-chasing-legacy-of-paul-the-octopus-a-839971.html


No comments:

Post a Comment