Sunday, June 24, 2012

Interesting News Article - A Drunken Swan am Bodensee!

So I actually had a relatively un-German weekend, sadly! I missed the Germany vs. Greece game because my area had a pretty massive thunderstorm, and I was without power for almost two days! So I had to rely on ESPN SportCenter to see clips of the awesome goals Germany scored. I'm excited to see them play Italy on Thursday! (hopefully I will have power then...)

Anyway, since I plan to move to Konstanz in a few months, I like reading the online version of that region's newspaper, the Südkurier (I click on "Kreis Konstanz" to check up on the town), both to see what's going on and to keep up with my German. When I clicked on this morning, I found this article, under "Tierdrama," which literally means, "Animal Drama!"

Betrunkener Schwan taumelt im Bodensee

The title essentially means, "Drunken Swan Stumbles in the Bodensee." Just a heads up, the "Bodensee" might be known to the English-speaking world as "Lake Constance" or "Lake Konstanz," but that is what German speakers call it.

For those of you that don't understand German (or who didn't feel like running the article through Google Translate...sorry that the website doesn't offer an English version!), essentially a group of hooligans fed the swan bread bits dipped in alcohol, and the poor thing was stumbling around and causing everyone worry! Luckily it will be okay :)

Also, for those who don't speak German, or who just prefer reading things in English, this is a great website: it's called The Local, and it's an online English-language newspaper for Germany.

Happy reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment